Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Down with housework, up with Hot and Spicy Chicken!

 Okay Ladies, and any men who decide to venture into this blog.... Does anybody else have a husband who works all week and all he wants to do is put you to work when he has a day off?? I DO!  This morning Brandon decided we are going to clean the house..again..the same thing I do everyday... so begrudgingly I obliged, I just hope that 10 minutes from now the house has toys all over it like it always does 10 minutes after I am done so he can see I am not lazy.   
   I told him that it bugs me because it makes me feel like he thinks I don't clean or do anything ( My OCD kicks in and I scrub this house!)..he says he knows I do, but he cant relax until it is clean again.   MEN!   Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, its just the comments and the way he goes about it...Makes me want a cupcake......
 

 So, I make a fair amount of chicken recipes because chicken is not expensive and I can separate a package of chicken and get at least 4 meals out of it.... So tonight is HOT AND SPICY CHICKEN! (this is out of my healthy eating box)

Ingredients
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon  black pepper
8 chicken legs REMOVE SKIN! ( I am using two legs and two thighs)
1/2 cup lime or lemon juice (Fresh is recommended)

Directions:

1. preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray and set aside

2. Place egg whites in a shallow bowl.  On a sheet of waxed paper (or a plate) combine cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, mix well.  Dip the chicken one at a time in egg whites then dredge in cornmeal mixture until coated

2. Arrange chicken in prepared dish and bake for 20 mins turning once (it may take longer if using thighs) Drizzle with the lime/lemon juice and bake until juices run clear when meat is pierced with a fork.  (so the entire cook time will be 30 minutes)

4. Place chicken on serving plate, garnish however you like!

I would sprinkle just a little salt or seasoning salt to the chicken before the egg whites and cormeal mixture, it will bring out the flavor a bit more... of course this is a "Diet" chicken so..do with it what you will :D ENJOY!

A short cut to this is put the cornmeal mixture in a plastic bag, once the chicken has been "washed" in the egg white, put the chicken in the plastic bag and shake like shake and bake...This is a fun way for kids to get involved as well...if you are using chicken legs, only shake 4 legs at a time.

Nutritional Information  237 calories  16g carbs   29 g protein  426mg of sodium  6g fat 
104mg cholesterol

Finished Product:

No comments:

Post a Comment