Monday, April 11, 2011

Don't deny yourself... and have Hawaiian BBQ Ribs

My latest addiction
    Its time for a tip that has worked for me!  If you are craving something...DON'T IGNORE IT..  Let yourself have whatever it is you are craving..but remember that saying "everything in moderation".  I found that when I was dieting and I was trying to cut foods completely out of my diet I would crave them until the craving was so intense that I would binge on whavever food it was (usually a candy or cake of some kind)  and the diet would be over...
but this time around I decided to let myself have those foods..but I have to stick to my workout and not over indulge.   I am sure that you have heard this before..but it is a good tip that worked for me....
  
     Tonight at the gym was 9 miles on the spin bike which burned almost 400 calories.  Had a really hard time getting in there after a vacation, but I went with my mom and we motivated each other to get through it, and then sat in the hot tub for a while just relaxing and letting our muscles get pampered a little.   Its sort of our treat at the end of a good work out....Bikes are good fun, and if you have one, get outside!! Remember how much fun you had as a kid riding your bike with your friends?? It is still fun!!!

  So onto the main event..... FOOD!!
  My mom gave me this great recipe box that has hundreds of healthy recipes that are still delicious!  SO tonight I am breaking it open to share with you one of my favorites..... HAWAIIAN BBQ RIBS!!

 
  Ingredients:
3 racks baby back ribs (we use one, but we are a smaller family)
1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriaki sauce
1/4 cup reduced-sodium ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar (I am using light today because it is what I have)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 fresh or canned pineapple slices




Directions!!! (there is only 3..sweet!!)

1. In a large dutch oven (I use a pot..) combine ribs and cold water(enough to cover the ribs, I cut the ribs into sections to accomplish this).  Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. ( This makes the ribs fall off the bone tender)

2. In a small sauce pan, combine pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, ketchup, garlic and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil, stirring over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in ginger. Remove from heat and let cool.

3. Heat a charcoal grill until coals form white ash, or prehat a gas grill to medium.  Drain ribs.  Place on grill rack.  Brush with half of sauce. Gril 6 inches from heat, covered for about 10 minutes per side.  Brush with remaining sauce, grill covered until browned, about 5 minutes per side.  During last 2 minutes, place pineapple on the grill.  Grill for 1 minute per side, serve pineapple with ribs.

Here is a variation if you dont have a grill or its freezing outside...

Preheat broiler, place ribs on broiler pan; brush with half of the sauce, broil 6 inches from heat for 8 minutes per side.  Brust with remaining sauce and broil for 5 minutes per side  Broil pineapple for 1 minute per side.

   
     Finished Product:



Hawaiian BBQ Ribs, Weed Salad and Garlic Bread!
  These ribs are soo delicious!!  They have 471 calories, 16 g of carbs, 28g protien 315 mg sodium, 33g fat and 129mg of cholesterol. (suggestion from Adrienne to add in nutritional values!!)

  




1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! Those ribs look yummy! I will be making those!

    ReplyDelete