Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Took a while, but here they are...Avacado Egg Rolls

So mommies, you know how sometimes life gets in the way?? That is what took me soo long to post thise recipe!!  First my son was sick for about  a week, he was really not happy.  Then I ended up in the Emergency Room... I had bronchitis... just the inflamation/virus part, not the hacking hit by a truck please kill me bronchitis like I normally get.  So that sucked.. THEN Madison got a fever that lasted about 2.5 days! Are you serious!    On top of all this Brandon and his boss have become partners and started their own timing company, Gemini Timing.  It is a dream come true for Brandon but it has been a lot of work.  So, yes the Walters have been busy... today though has a been a lounging going to the gym in an hour whew...somewhat back to normal.

So a quick story about the egg rolls.. I was making the sauce and was on a roll... until I pulled out my food processor.  I got this thing for my wedding almost five years ago.. have never used it, so of course when i pulled it out and put it all together, the dang thing was like, NO SIR I HAVE BEEN WAITING IN THE DARK FOR FIVE YEARS AND NNOOWWW YOU PULL ME OUT...TAKE THIS, and broke... so I was trying ot use my blender, and it wouldnt puree the sauce enough..so mine was a little thick..but if you have a food processor, be nice to it...it may get an attitude if you dont :D

Anyways, I know I posted that I made these a while ago, but here finally for your viewing and tasting pleasure...

Avacado Egg Rolls
INGREDIENTS
Dipping Sauce
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
pinch of ground tumeric
1/2 cup chopped cashews
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil

Egg Rolls
1 large avacado, pitted, peeled, and diced
2 tablespoons chopped dry packed sun dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
pinch of salt
4 egg roll wrappers
1 egg beaten
oil, for frying

Directions

1. To make the dipping sauce, combine the vinegars, honey, and tamarind in a microwave safe bowl.  Stir until the tamarind is dissolved.

2. Microwave for one minute

3. Using a food processor, puree the tamarind mixture, turmeric, cashews, cilantro, garlic, green onions, sugar, pepper and cumin.

4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the oil.

5. Cover and refrigerate until needed

6. To make the egg rolls, stir together the avacado, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and salt

7.  Place some of the filling in teh center of one of the egg roll wrappers

8.  Fold up one corner of the way over the filling.  Brush the remaining edges with the beaten egg, fold over teh left and right sides, then fold the top corner over all and press to seal.

9.  Repeat with remaining wrappers

10.  Deep fry the egg roll sin 375 degree oil for 3 to 4 minutes until browned.

11. Serve with chilled sauce

Tip: You can bake these to make them a healthier snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment